A chemical peel is a technique used to improve and smooth the texture of the skin. Facial skin is mostly treated and scarring can be improved. Chemical peels are intended to remove the outermost layers of the skin. This is achieved by the chosen peel solution that induces a controlled injury to the skin after which the resulting wound healing processes begin to regenerate new tissues.
Chemical peels are beneficial for the following:
- Reducing fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth
- Improving sun damaged skin
- Treating wrinkles caused by sun damage and ageing
- Improving the appearance of mild scars
- Treating certain types of acne
- Reducing pigmentation, age spots, freckles, and dark patches (Melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills
Your dermatologist will help you decide which type of chemical solution is most appropriate, based on your skin type, which areas you want to be peeled, what kind of results you want and other factors.
Read our blog: Peeling back time, The value of chemical peels